Procedure for Name Change After Marriage

In India, woman have a common practice of changing their last name to their husband’s or his family’s name after marriage. However, the name-changing process is not easy; there are certain steps to follow for this.

Name changing process is possible through two methods:

  • Notarized Affidavit
  • Gazette Publication
name changing process

Notarized Affidavit

Step 1: Filing a joint affidavit with a marriage declaration. The affidavit must consist of certain details. It includes a proposed new name, husband’s name, maiden name, and address.

Step 2: Get a print of the affidavit on stamp paper of Rs.10 along with the sign of both husband and wife.

Step 3: Attach the passport-sized photos (husband and wife) and marriage certificate to the signed affidavit.

Step 4: Notarize the signed affidavit. This will cost you a standard legal fee.

Step 5: Publish the name change advertisement in the two local newspapers.

Procedure for Name Change in the Official Documents

When it comes to name change, you need to change your name in the below-mentioned documents as well.

  1. PAN Card
  2. Passport
  3. Driving License
  4. Banks

To change the name in the above documents, follow the procedure given below:

PAN Card: Submit the application along with a copy of the marriage certificate as a confirmation of name change Process to the PAN service unit. Instead of a marriage certificate, you can use a gazette affidavit.

Passport: Apply for a new passport along with the old one, a copy of your husband’s passport, marriage certificate, and other essential details for name change in the passport.

Driving Licence: Submit the application for name change along with the marriage certificate, form 1, original driving license, LLD form, address proof, ID proof, and the fee to RTO for further processing.

Banks: Update the bank account with your new name. Along with this, submit the marriage certificate to prove the reason for changing the name.

Gazette Publication

Step 1: Submit a written application for changing the name. Attach a copy of your address proof and marriage certificate to your application and send it to the Gazette department.

Step 2: Send the documents supporting the name change to the relevant department as proof by registered post.

Step 3: Request the respective department to publish the name change in the Gazette’s next issue.

Step 4: You will get a Gazette notification on your address within 15 to 20 working days by registered post. This can be useful as proof for changing the name.

Step 5: Publish an ad about your name change in two newspapers (local).

Final Words

Name change after marriage is quite a difficult process. For this, one should know the legal procedure. Not only this, but also have to visit the relevant government offices multiple times.

Seeking the help of a skilled and experienced lawyer would be beneficial for you. The lawyer will help you complete all the legal procedures without any hassle.

If you are looking forward to changing your name, then reach us. We have a team of skilled lawyers who will make the entire process hassle-free.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *