How Can I Change My Name Legally in Chennai?
Are you a resident of Chennai? Do you want to change your name legally in Chennai? If your answer is a big yes, then you should be aware of the name change process in Chennai.
In this write-up, we are explaining almost everything about the name change process.
What is a Name Change?
Name change indicates changing one’s name, changing any letter, or adding initials. It is a legal act by a folk of adopting a new name different from their name at marriage or birth.
Reasons to Change Name in Chennai
When it comes to name change in Chennai, there are several reasons. It includes:
- Mistakes in the school certificate or birth certificate
- Changing name by women after marriage
- Name change by women after divorce
- Spell errors in documents
- Child Adoption
- Change in Religion
- For Numerology or Astrology purposes
- Change in the surname
- Change in gender
- You don’t like your name
- Identity change
In Chennai, submit the name change application to the concerned department of Government Printing Press. The department issues the notification certifying the name change process is over officially. It also states that the same name is binding on every department – government or private as far as name matters.
Name Change in Chennai- Eligibility Criteria
To change the name in Chennai, one has to meet the requirements given below:
- The person who wants to change the name must be Indian
- The applicant should have a genuine reason for name changing
- The applicant should have the real ID proof
- If the applicant is a minor, then the parent has to visit the concerned government department with the applicant
Procedure for Changing Name in Chennai
The procedure for changing the name comprises three steps given below:
Affidavit for Name Change
The applicant must prepare a name change affidavit mentioning the exact reason for the name change. To change the name, first, you have to prepare an affidavit in the local Notary. The affidavit must have your old name, new name, and the reason for changing the name. It should also have the details of the applicant such as the Father’s/Husband’s name, Age Proof, Address, etc.
After completing the first step, publish your name change in the newspaper. You have to publish the news of the name change in the two local newspapers as an advertisement – one in the English newspaper and the other in the regional language.
When it comes to publishing ads, here are the vital things to consider:
- Old name
- New name
- Date on which the affidavit is prepared by the applicant
- Applicant’s full address
- Applicant’s age
- Name of the notary attested the name change affidavit
- Husband’s /Father’s name of the applicant
Notification in Government Gazette
The publication of the name change notification should be in the Indian Government Gazette.
Name Change Process in Chennai
For a name change in Chennai, you need:
- Duly notarized affidavit non-judicial stamp
- ID proofs
- Newspaper ads mentioning your name change
- Three photos
- Educational documents if any
Old Name ID
It indicates that you have to submit the Government ID proof for your old name such as Pan, Aadhaar, etc.
Prepare a digital CD and submit it to the gazette office.
Essential Documents for Changing Name in Chennai
- Address proof such as water bill, electricity bill, and rental agreement
- Marriage certificate if any
- A photo of passport size
- Divorce papers (if any)
- New name
- Hard copy of duly notarized affidavits
- Newspaper publication (hard copy)
- If the applicant is a minor, then the birth certificate is necessary
- Hard copy of the duly filled name change form
- Deed for govt. employees
- If the application is abroad, then submit the deed attested by the Indian Embassy
- Digital CD
Wrapping it up
The name change process in Chennai is not a challenging task. Seeking the help of a professional would help you change your name easily and quickly.
If you need any help or guidance in changing your name, contact our team. We have years of experience in helping several people in changing their names without much hassle.