Marriage Registration Laws in Chennai for Indian Citizens, Foreign Citizen and NRI
Marriage is one of the most important occasions in everyone’s life. Marriage registration laws are governed by the Tamilnadu Register Marriage Act 2009. Hindu Marriage Act, Special Marriage Act
Registering for marriage is not compulsory in India, but it would be good and gives you more benefits if you register the marriage. It’s because this will help you when you’re traveling abroad or Applying for a VISA or proceeding for any Attestation in those occasions Marriage Registration Certificate plays a vital role
Here, in this blog, you will get to know everything regarding marriage Registration laws in Chennai.
Who Can Register the Marriage in Chennai?
Registrar is a person who authorizes the Marriage Certificate where both the parties together can register for their wedding, Along with their parents
We Legal Prime can help you to register the marriage.
However, the marriage officer (Sub registrar) should be appointed by the government.
The marriage officer (Sub registrar) will verify the documents with original and authenticate the wedding with two people as witnesses
When it comes to marriage registration, certain documents are essential. Now, let’s have a look at the documents required for registering the marriage.
Documents Needed for Marriage Registration
Here are the documents required for registering marriages:
- Application signed by both husband and wife.
- Age and Identity proof such as Adhar card, driving license, PAN card, birth certificate, Mark sheet, Transfer certificate and passport.
- Four photographs (passport size) of husband and wife.
- Marriage solemnization proof, marriage invitation card and Receipt of the marriage ceremony Conducted place
- Address proof of husband and wife such as Ration card, Passport or Voter Id
When is the Best Time to Register the Marriage?
Marriage registration must be done within 90 days so that we can register it without penalty or till 150 days from the date of your marriage to register with Penalty
If you forget to register the marriage within 150 days, then you might have to pay an additional fee for marriage registration based on the delay
Benefits of Registering Your Marriage
Marriage registration provides you with legal proof of your marriage. Legal proof is useful in several situations. This includes applying for a visa or passport, claiming inheritance rights, or opening a joint bank account adding spouse name and in attestations
Moreover, it is also helpful in preventing arguments in case of divorce.
Marriage Registration Procedure
The marriage registration procedure varies slightly for every state. The general set of procedures for registering your marriage are:
- Fill out the marriage registration application form: The form is available online or at the office of the marriage officer. Both husband and wife should sign the application form.
- Essential documents submission: You need to submit all the documents required for marriage registration along with the application form.
- Registration fee: For marriage registration, you have to pay a nominal fee.
- Document verification and marriage solemnization: The government-appointed marriage officer will verify all the documents and solemnize the wedding in the presence of 2 witnesses.
- Marriage certificate: Once the wedding is solemnized, the officer will issue the marriage certificate to the husband and wife.
As we said earlier, marriage registration is not necessary, it would be good to register the marriage for several social and legal benefits. The entire process is straightforward and can be done within a short time.
For marriage registration, you can seek the help of marriage registration lawyers in Chennai. The lawyers will help you understand the laws in your state and make sure to have all the essential documents with you before you start with the registration process.